Eligibility for entitled Free School Meals
The school receives extra funding for each child entitled to Free School Meals through the application system. This extra money helps the school in offering additional learning support time for pupils, support towards residentials and purchasing equipment for classes such as Numicom and Project X books. If you are interested in how this money is spent and the impact that it is having, please visit the Pupil Premium page on this website.
Free School Meals – Change to Eligibility Criteria
From 1 April 2018, the criteria for Free School Meals has been updated to reflect the introduction of Universal Credit and the phasing out of other income based benefits.
Local Authorities, Academies and Free Schools have a duty to provide free school meals to pupils of all ages. Free School Meals are available to pupils in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided the family has an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to 3 of the most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (providing the family is not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run on – paid for four weeks after a claimant stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit
In addition the following pupils will be protected against losing their free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out:
- From 1 April 2018, all existing free school meal pupils will continue to receive free school meals
- Any child gaining eligibility for free school meals after 1 April 2018 will be protected
Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out (expected to be complete in March 2022) any existing claimant that no longer meets the eligibility criteria will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education (i.e. primary or secondary).
If you are receiving one of these benefits you can download the application form, or ask for one from the School Office or call 0344 800 8020 for a printed copy. Thank you for completing the form – it ensures our school is as well funded as possible.
Universal Infant Free School Meals:
Since September 2014, schools have been required to provide free lunches to pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 and there are no changes to this arrangement. The Free School Meals team will continue to assess Pupil Premium for these pupils.
Even though your child may be in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, please still tell our local authority if you receive any of the above benefits. Our school can still receive extra funding if you do.
Page updated: 21/04/2018