Parent Support Advisor
PSA Advice for Parents during Coronavirus Pandemic School Closure
My name is Sally Hitchcock. I am the Parent Support Advisor working with seven primary schools in the local area. My working days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, term-time only.
I am a trained Mental Health Champion and Domestic Abuse Champion.
Being a parent or carer can be great fun, frequently exhausting and at times a really tough job. Talking with a family member, good friend or your child’s teacher is often enough but if you feel ‘stuck’, or a problem is getting bigger, you can give me a call or ask your child’s school to contact me.
We can arrange to meet in your home, child’s school or my office at Thurton Primary – whichever feels best for you. We can explore what’s going on and work together to find a way forward. Sometimes we might decide we’ll ask for advice or support from someone else. I can refer to specific services or signpost you to the most appropriate place for further support.
Here are some of the ways I can help:-
- when children are starting or moving between schools or when parents may be considering a change of school setting for a child
- referring or signposting to specialist services
- when you are worried about your child’s behaviour, sleeping or eating
- promoting positive relationships between parents and school staff
- helping where attendance or exclusions may be a concern
- supporting at appointments and meetings
- when there has been a change in family circumstances, for instance a bereavement or parental separation
- helping parents access further support when a child has a special educational need and/or disability
Websites offering support to parents:-
https://www.justonenorfolk.nhs.uk/ (Child and Young People’s Health Services)
www.youngminds.org.uk (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)
www.familylives.org.uk (Parenting Advice and Support)
www.leewaysupport.org (Support for anyone experiencing domestic abuse)
*National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
The above two organisations offer advice regarding adhd and autism, whether or not there is a formal diagnosis.
The South Norfolk Early Help Hub provides advice and support on a wide range of issues including housing, benefits and managing debt (01508 533933).
My contact details:-
Landline – 01508 480335 (Thurton Primary)
Mobile – 07825 356836
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org